Monday, October 17, 2011

Hurricane Irene


























  So it is a bout time I post a new blog update. Things have been fairly chaotic since Hurricane Irene pummeled the island I’ve been living on, but I thought I would finally share some of what has been going on since.
   During the storm I was staying at an Inn that offered up a safe place to stay, while we were getting hammered, and after as the power was shut down to the island. At first it didn’t seem like there was too much damage on the island and I even went surfing a few times. Then Jerry came by the inn one day and said that the North end of the Island was decimated! He was spreading the word and getting people to go up in teams and help with the clean-up effort. I joined in and was astonished at how much damage there was. Everyone who lived up there was just in shock. The major brunt of the damage was caused by the tidal surges from the sound. There were some reports of 8-10 ft of flooding for 10hours straight. We decided our job was to help people tear carpets out of their house and get all the damaged furniture out to prevent the spread of mold. People had nowhere to go so they were still living in their houses. 
I’ll let the pictures do most if the talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment